Saturday, December 18, 2010

A non-materialistic view of Christmas Gifts







Hello All!
Long time no write, and I've missed it! I guess the busyness of the holidays plus the beautiful distraction of raising a toddler have been holding their places firmly :). Anyways...with Christmas time around the corner-my all time favorite holiday-it is a time when people feel more inclined to openly give thanks for the blessings in their lives. And I think that's one of the things I love most about it...everyone, not just the saint-like at heart, takes time out to say "thank you" more, to greet each other with holiday greetings...to send out cards and other gifts to people they wouldn't normally do so with, and some go so far as to muster up the humbleness to talk to that person they may have been at odds with for a while. To others, this may give them reason to think of this holiday as a time full of meaningless fake acts of kindness "just because"...to me, it's an unconventional glimpse of how we as a human race should be...and could be. I love the fact that we can actually take time to put others first and give "just because"....even if only for a day. I love that our God-formed abilities to love, to care, to serve, are all revealed in this holiday manifestation of generosity. For a moment, we put aside the work schedule and appointment book, and turn our eyes towards humanity and what truly matters from the heart. Our vision is more focused in on those without, on giving to the needy, and on those we've distanced from due to the world's demands. And in this time, it is a beautiful thing to observe and be part of...perhaps even encouraging some to continue it throughout the year. It is a gift in itself, and a worlwide phenomenon that amazes me, as this flow of warmheartedness breaks boundaries and cultures and exceeds limits. This, is more than any retail sale item can put a number to.

And of course, in all this talk of holiday gifts and things to be thankful for.....I am incredibly thankful for my Lovey...my precious gift from the Lord. She is now 16 1/2 months old, and each day my heart leaps within (actually my body leaps outwardly too at times lol) at the joys of new things learned, concepts grasped. She is just so aware and observant and ...LOVABLE! And I am thankful for her, and for what she brings me, again a matter far beyond mere sales quotas and black friday door busters. She continues to show me new things and I love watching her step by step and witnessing each new development, that started out from infancy and has now matured into toddlerhood. The most beautiful thing is seeing the changes taking place , this tiny piece of creation forming her own ideas, likes, dislikes... beautiful, amazing. And I am thankful that we aren't limited to the superficial temporary "happiness" that comes from getting everything we want on our lists, because if that were the case... the season would have lost its true warmth long ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment